RESEARCH & PUBLICATIONS
- "'A Good Communist Style': Sounding Like a Communist in Twentieth-Century China," Representations 151, no. 1 (Summer 2020): 26–50.
This essay focuses on the history and politicization of radio announcers’ vocal delivery in China during the mid-twentieth century. It explores how Chinese Communist Party leaders used internal party debates, national policies, and broadcasting training to construct an ideal Communist voice whose qualities would ostensibly communicate party loyalty and serve as a sonic representation of political authority.
- Review of Cole Roskam, Improvised City: Architecture and Governance in Shanghai, 1843–1937, The Journal of Architecture, January 2021. (Co-authored with Abingo Wu.)
- Review of Qiu Zhihong [邱志红], A Study on the Growth and Professional Situation of Modern Lawyers: Focus on the Beijing Lawyers in the Republic of China [现代律师的生成与境遇: 以民国时期北京律师群体为中心的研究], Journal of Modern Chinese History, April 2013.
- "Nixon in China: A First Taste of Modern U.S.-Chinese Relations," TIME, June 23, 2014.
- "16 Cents and the Law," New York Times, October 22, 2012. Kunming, China. Video.
- "Birth of an Activist," Washington Post, November 12, 2012. San Francisco Chinatown, Calif. Video.
- "Impressions of America from the Streets of China," Washington Post, September 28, 2012. Kunming, China. Video. (Co-produced)
- “San Francisco Celebrates the Year of the Dragon,” Washington Post, February 16, 2012. San Francisco Chinatown, Calif. Video. (Co-produced)
- "Local Cadres Face Labor Conflicts, Learn from Classes," China Digital Times, July 13, 2010.
- "Human Flesh Search Engines’ 'Identity Crisis,'" China Digital Times, June 25, 2010.
- "Farmers Selling Blood to Make Ends Meet," China Digital Times, November 5, 2009.
- "Personal History: A June Deserter," China Digital Times, June 11, 2009.
- "Xu Zhiyong (许志永): A Petitioner’s Tale," China Digital Times, May 2, 2009.
- "Photos: The Sanlu Disaster in Baoji," China Digital Times, September 27, 2008.
© 2021 Paulina Hartono